This is the second set in the series of tulips I shot this spring.
When I am pressed for time I love doing flower edits. They are quick and easy and can be knocked out without a lot of effort going into them. When I first started processing photos I would just use Lightroom and now I use Photoshop for the majority of my work. I can quickly just do what I want and dodge and burn as needed and call it done.
One of the things that I can get away with since I now live in Thailand but publish on a East Coast of America time is I edit the same day. When I need to get out and do something I can quickly do these edits and then out the door.
I more or less explained how editing was done. Mostly gradient work to get the flower into focus then a bit of dodging and burning.
I shot this series of images when the tulips were in full bloom. The series was shot between Brookside Gardens in Maryland and Meadowlark Gardens in Virginia.
When I was taking these image I didn’t have a filter that fit my lens. I would have used a 3 stop neutral density to cut down on some of the light since I shot them just before midday. You can fix some of it in Photoshop but it’s never going to look as good if you had a filter.
None of these were shot with a macro lense. I just used my Sigma 24-105 on the Nikon D5500 and went wild. I was still learning how to use the camera so I there were a few misses but for the most part the images came out decent.
Editing wise I just did the Lightroom to Photoshop workflow. I always add my contrast in via a curves adjustment and do local work with dodging and burning as needed.
When I was in Florida I was informed that I would take pictures of flowers in a garden. I like to think I fulfilled my obligation with these images.
I only took my Sony RX10 with me to Florida as it was a quick trip. It was also a test of my new mobile workflow which means just a smaller external SSD drive and a Lightroom library to dump images to. When I return home I then import the images into my normal library and edit if I haven’t already. Worked well.
Still playing with my new editing workflow. Seems to do well and I’m happy that I was able to bang these images out quickly. It’s just one simple curves adjustment in Photoshop, some dodging and burning, then sharpening. Much faster for when I’m busy and need to be on the run.
I have been getting requests for flowers from my Mom almost daily. Since she reads and comments daily I’ll humor her not for just one day but two!
The whole flower thing started when I was a new at photography. I had no real clue what I was doing. If I was outside it was flowers. If I was inside it was my cat. Over the years my photography got better and I realized I hated flowers because I learned to shoot other things. The cat – well she was old and had an extremely charmed life.
So I don’t take a lot of flowers photos anymore. When I was in Portland, Oregon they were doing the Rose Festival. I already published a few sets of the roses. This was the B roll stuff that I didn’t select in the first cut. Some have errors resulting from myself or the camera. Others have issues with the backgrounds. Still, I knew I had them and to make my Mom happy I just went ahead and did the edits.
Going to split this up into 2 sets. There are 16 images totals. This will also buy me some time to do additional editing of all the new stuff I have shot recently. I’m on the road starting this Friday. So I need to preload all the images which means a lot of time sitting in front of the computer and editing
Speaking of editing flowers are easily done. Nothing special here. Contrast adjustments and then dodging and burning. Called it done.